Monday, July 4, 2016

New beginnings

It’s safe to say that this blog has been abandoned for a long time and it’s largely because I created a niche blog about a topic that I’m hugely passionate about, but rarely knew what to discuss. With that said, I’ve decided to take the blog in a new, much more personal direction.

As many who know me are already aware, in September I’ll be starting my MA Magazine Journalism at the University of Sheffield. After an uneventful and disappointing undergrad, I’m determined to make the most of my final year in academia and plan to keep track of everything I do in this blog.
Although it’s still two months until my course starts, I’m getting a head start on things. In the past two weeks I’ve managed to get a job, secure a first in my BA and move into a new house with my boyfriend and best friend. It’s been a whirlwind of a time, but I’ve loved every second of it. I’m finally starting to feel like an adult, though adulthood is vastly different to how I imagined it would be as a child. It’s not all freedom and copious amounts of alcohol, but working days on end to earn money for bills, rent and moderate amounts of alcohol.

But that’s not the biggest thing that has happened in the past fortnight. Today I became a mum to two baby rats after years of wanting a small furry companion. They’re still getting settled, but are quickly learning that my presence equals treats. Enough that I could get a few decent pictures that is. So I’d like you to meet Kate (with black markings) and Maggie (a half Siamese).




I first fell in love with the creatures in primary school, after playing with my friend’s two rats for hours on end. I’ve never truly understood the hatred that many people have for them, their tails may be a little off-putting and you may run across a couple in the sewer, but they’re some of the sweetest, cleanest, most intelligent creatures you can find. They love nothing more than to scurry around, climbing everything they come across. And their cage is packed full of toys, to the point where I’m jealous of their home. While I couldn’t get a perfect picture, you can see from what I did capture just how much they have to keep them entertained, not to mention the large amount of floor space in my room to explore.



With so much happening in such a short space of time I have high hopes for this blog. Even if nobody stumbles across it, it will be a nice thing to look back on when I graduate next summer. Stick around if you like, who knows what I’ll end up writing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment