Thursday, September 10, 2015

What's in my crisis box?

It's World Suicide Prevention day and as well as remind people that there's always another way out of the dark feelings that we come across, I thought that I would take a dive into my crisis box. I'd heard of people creating these to help them when they get really low, but never really thought I'd need one until recently. My mental health seems to have taken somewhat of a dip and so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Although I haven't needed to use anything inside the box yet, I had tons of fun putting it all together and thinking about what I need for a change, rather than worrying about how I'm bothering everyone else. Don't get me wrong, crisis boxes are very personal, but I thought that I would share what I have in mine to help people who may be a little lost as to what to stick in.


You don't need to spend loads on a box (although feel free to do so, I know Paperchase have some gorgeous boxes), I just used a decent sized shoe box covered in pretty wrapping paper. Even a bag will do. Grab some stickers, a paint brush or some felt tips and really go to town on in it if you want to.


Now as to what is in my own box, I have something for each of the five senses, including:

A jigsaw: I've always loved jigsaws and they really help me to calm down. All of my attention is focused on finding the correct pieces and fitting them all together, distracting me from everything else going on in my head. Before my boyfriend donated this one, I used websites such as www.jigzone.com and www.bigpuzzle.net (the latter has huge puzzles that take hours).

Hand putty: When I get worked up, I want to tear things and dig my nails in which makes stress balls useless for me. When I stray from doing this to my own body, I often rip up pieces of paper which creates a mess and only stresses me out further. I found this online for just a few pounds and haven't looked back. It's strong, doesn't turn into crumbs like Play Doh and doesn't carry a horrible smell.
Buy some here.

Hot Chocolate: I normally drink really cheap hot chocolate, but splashed out a little on sachets for my box. I went for the craziest flavours I could find, such as fudge, mint and caramel in hopes that they will perk me up when I'm feeling low. You can find dozens of these sachets in your local supermarket.

Colouring book and dot-to-dot book: Adult colouring books are all the rage at the moment. The pictures are so intricate and again, these provide a brilliant distraction. Even better is that at the end of it, you have some beautiful pictures to keep and be proud of. I often stick mine around the room.
Colouring book
Dot to dot

Felt tips and crayons: Pretty self explanatory - you can't complete your colouring book without a handful of colours.

Pot Pourri: I really struggled with coming up with something for my sense of smell. As a student, I'm not allowed to have candles or incense sticks as they provide a fire hazard. I then remembered about something that I created in pre-school that hung in my wardrobe for years and still smelt gorgeous - pot pourri. The one in my box is 'wild flowers' and I stuck them in a pretty jar that was lying around the house, meaning that I can pop the lid open and take a whiff whenever I need. If I close my eyes I feel like I'm lying among the flowers and can almost hear the birds tweeting around me - it's gorgeous. Even better was that it only cost 99p from B&M.
Buy some here.

A mixtape: Okay, so a CD rather than a tape, because I'm no longer a child with my bright pink cassette player. I filled this with upbeat songs that always make me smile and sing at the top of my lungs. When I feel bad, I don't want to smile, let alone sing, but they hold some good memories too, so they take me back to those happier moments. Absolutely no downhearted music is allowed, although I do have a bit of Rammstein. They may not be happy chaps, but they definitely have a good tempo.

Photographs: I have loads of photos of great memories and friends and family that are a little too far away to be with. Everyone is smiling in the pictures and the mood is just lovely. I can look at these and be transported back to better times, to people who care about me.

A note: I struggled to write a positive note to myself, even when I thought that I felt fine. I find it hard to say anything nice about myself, so my boyfriend offered to write a note for me. Hopefully one day I can add my own personal note into the box, but for now I can open up the note and be reminded that at least one person cares about me out there. Someone has something nice to say.

Important numbers: I've previously contacted the Samaritans and the fact that someone was willing to hear my ramble on about nothing in particular really helped me to pull myself together enough to get out of the situation I was in. When things get tough, we all need someone to talk to, so I wrote all the important numbers that I may need in a gorgeous card which is easier to access that struggling to scroll through countless contacts on my phone.

Lollipops: When you're feeling particularly bad, sugar isn't a good idea, but I get a real craving for junk food. Rather than fill the box with chocolate and sweets that may make things worse, not to mention digging in when I just fancy a snack, I put in a handful of lollipops. They're oddly calming and last a lot longer than pouring a whole packet of Skittles in your mouth (and no jaw ache).

A teddy: My teddy is huge and won't fit inside the box, but he's so soft and cuddly that I couldn't leave him out of my crisis list. I got Roosevelt when my brother went into hospital when I was younger, so he's always been a comfort to me. There's nothing better than a cuddle and a squeeze when you're feeling bad and I don't have someone at university to turn to when I need it, so Roosevelt is a life saver.

As I get more money I may add to my box. I'm currently looking at a Tangle and LED candles, as well as a whole host of desk toys to keep me occupied. But for now, it's a comfort knowing that I have a box full of calming things, that I don't need to think about it when I get down, I can just reach under my bed and feel a little better. They really don't have to cost a lot to make and could end up saving your life, so if you get bouts of feeling suicidal or just extremely low, I highly recommend creating a crisis box for youself.

And remember, no matter where or who you are, there is ALWAYS someone to talk to. Someone is willing to listen if you need help. Reach out to someone before deciding to harm yourself in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment