Sunday, November 8, 2015

My Hamster, My Hero: The Mental Health Benefits of Pets

Wow, it’s been a long time since I’ve written anything, I’m sorry! I’ve been dealing with numerous problems that just keep cropping up and haven’t found much to write about, but something has come up recently that has really bothered me. I’m currently in the midst of ‘wranglings’ with my university surrounding my mental health. I’ve spoken to countless people about how I don’t feel comfortable in my room on campus and how I’m struggling to find reasons to stay and finish my degree. The majority of people suggested that I get a small pet for my room to help me feel more at home. Of course me being a little goody-two-shoes decided to ask my college instead of just buying one and sneaking it into halls like the rest of students do. Despite being polite and offering explanations as to why it would help me, I’ve been shot down every time. The reason? If I have a pet, then everyone else will want one. Instead of giving up, I thought that I would come back to my blog to explain just how beneficial pets can be for those suffering with depression and anxiety.

They’re a source of unconditional love
Anyone who has ever owned a pet knows that they love you no matter what. You can walk into the house sweaty, in a bad mood and hating absolutely everything in the world and pets will still be excited to see you. Your room or house is just a little part of your life, but to pets, you are their whole world. They don’t care what you look like, how bad you feel, they are so happy that you’re there and won’t pass judgement at all.

You’re never alone
In your lowest moments you end up locking yourself up in your home and find it hard to make an effort to speak to people. With a pet, they’re always there, even if you want to shut the world out, your pets will be there for you.

They force us to be responsible
Not only do your pets keep you company in your lowest moments, but they’re also dependent on you. No matter how bad you feel, your pet reminds you that you’re needed in the world. Without you they wouldn’t have food or fresh water and even making sure that you provide these each day can help you get back in the swing of things – it provides a routine for you to follow.

Just watching them can be helpful
Studies have been done on fish which show that just watching them can lower both blood pressure and tension and there’s no reason that this can’t extend to other small pets. Watching a hamster run around on its wheel or rats clamber over their cage is monotonous and therapeutic. It provides a distraction from everything else going on in your life and if you find yourself getting worked up or stressed, taking a few minutes out to watch your little bundle of love can help a lot.

They want to be cuddled
Most pets love being in your hands or arms. It shows them that they’re loved and can have a number of benefits for you. Various ways of touching can help to lower your heart rate, blood pressure and stress levels and can help your immune system. While interacting with other people has these benefits, this isn’t always feasible when you’re in your lowest moods. Having a pet who is just metres away from you no matter where you are in your halls is much easier, especially when you feel as though you’d rather the rest of the world fade away. Letting a hamster out for exercise is important for them and while they do, cuddles can help you.

So what can the uni do about it?
I understand the university’s argument, I really do, no-one wants every room to have a pet as some people won’t look after them correctly and some will get them for the wrong reasons. But you can’t deny the medical help that they give owners. Rather than having an open allowance, the university could easily have a system of application that requires a referral from a therapist or doctor as they would do for other allowed animals such as guide dogs. If the application takes this much effort, those who really need the pets will power through, while those who want one for the sake of it will most likely give up.

In terms of health and hygiene, those who are allowed pets could also agree to having cleaners or other members of staff regularly check their room for signs of mistreating the animals or unhygienic living spaces. Much like shared areas such as kitchens, owners will then get a warning before having their pet taken from them.


There are a number of ways to whittle those who would benefit from having a pet from those who want one because everyone else does. Again, this seems to be another way in which mental health is seen as less important than physical health. Sometimes offering students a counselling session and a number of drugs just doesn’t help. If they know what will help them through such a tough time, then they should be listened to and seriously considered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment